Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend Wrap-up

The King's Speech
Well, this has officially been the longest weekend of my life since we were unexpectedly out of school for a week! By the end of the week, I was ready to get out of the house. I do not like to stay home! Cary and I headed to Bridge Street Friday afternoon to go see The King's Speech. I had been looking forward to seeing it and had even planned on going to Nashville to see it if it did not make it to Huntsville. Since I am a lover of all things royal (I will never get tired of visiting London.) and historical fiction, I loved the movie. There were only a handful of people in the theater and most were over the age of sixty. But since I am no action-packed, romance, 3-D movie fan, this movie was perfect for me.  Bridge Street was still recovering from the blizzard. The fountain was completely frozen. One crazy mom was letting her daughter walk on top of it. I was secretly wishing the ice would break and she would fall in the cold water because her mom was so stupid.

On Saturday, we headed out of town to Guntersville just to drive around and eat lunch. There were several spots on the lake that were still frozen and there was just enough snow left that it was quite beautiful.


We drove up to the Lodge for the view. Doesn't this look like a pool you would want to swim in?


It was cold!


When we were headed out, we saw a bunch of deer. A lady in her car was feeding them cheese balls and I think gum. The deer looked like it was getting ready to blow a bubble. Thanks to the crazy lady, we were able to get an up close view of the deer.

This Great Blue Heron was sitting on the ice when we drove up to the lodge and just happened to be in the same spot when we came back down. I was just quick enough with the camera to get a picture before it flew off.


I also did not know that the coke machine graveyard is in Guntersville.


Today, since we had one more day off from school, we headed to Nashville with my parents to visit the Frist Center of Visual Arts. They had a lovely collection called The Birth of Impressionism on loan from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. I have been to Paris several times, but never made it to the Orsay. The exhibit featured works from some of my favorite artists including Whistler, Courbet, Manet, Renoir, Monet, Degas and many more. It was definitely worth the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment